I have had tofu on many occasions and often it can be incredibly tasteless, boring in flavour and very chewy. It’s rare that I’ve had tofu that has made me think how lovely it is as a product so I was determined to change this by experimenting with some flavours, and thus, creating my delicious Vegan Panko Schnitzel. When I was a child I used to eat chicken escalopes, kievs and other breaded chicken and this has always been the naughty, easy dinners I have missed since being pescatarian.
Working with tofu is incredibly, incredibly easy and very fun because tofu is very bland and very easy to manipulate into anything creative that you want. You just need to ensure you are seasoning it properly otherwise it will be very tasteless.
The only downside is that it can be a tad expensive but it’s worth it for making something super yummy, super easy and something that will remind you of those childhood delights you loved, whilst being as environmentally friendly as possible.
There are lots and lots of brands of tofu out there and I have tried many of them but my favourite is by Tofoo. They are organic, from a sustainable source and they make them by hand to keep the personal approach alive and vibrant.
In order to make a delicious crunch though you need a good breadcrumb and there’s nothing better than panko, I used my panko breadcrumbs from Buy Whole Foods Online which sell an incredible array of quality natural and organic wholefoods.
Vegan Panko Schnitzel
- 1 280g Tofu The Tofoo Co. Tempeh
- 2 tsp Plain Flour
- 60 ml Oat Milk
- 200 g Panko Bread Crumbs Buy Whole Foods Online
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Sweet Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Vegan cheese Violife
- With Tofoo you do not need to dry them, they are ready to prepare. So cut the tofu into 4 equal slices. In a separate bowl, place your flour, milk, salt, cheese and other seasoning and mix and place your tofu into the wet mixture, ensuring it is well coated.
- Place your wet tofu into your bowl of panko breadcrumbs and make sure every side is coated, gently shake to remove any excess breadcrumbs.
- Add a dollop of vegetable oil and put onto a medium heat for a minute or so and once hot, place your breaded tofu in. Fry for 4 minutes on each side until golden and serve with rice and salad.
If you like my Vegan Panko Schnitzel, please check out my social media for more!
Please use the hashtag #TheHumbleP. I would love to see your takes! Thank you for reading my Vegan Panko Schnitzel.
Share and follow me for more super yum posts/reviews in the future <3
Disclaimer – all products below gifted.
Panko Breadcrumbs – BuyWholeFoodsOnline