I have been SO excited about sharing this delightful recipe because it screams spring and the weekend that has just passed us has been absolutely beautiful. These Vegan Carrot, Cream Cheese and Lemon Curd Bites are going to make you grin like a Cheshire cat, not just because they look fantastic but because they taste like little bites of happiness.
Carrot cake is one of the easiest, funnest recipes to do and it comes with so many combinations too. You can add courgette to it, beetroot, chocolate instead of raisins, oranges instead of lemons – you name it, the variations go on and on. For me though, it’s delicious with walnuts, raisins, lemon and a bit of orange.
Now I made my own lemon curd last week and had some left over in the fridge so I used this as the topping, you can check out my recipe here. However, please be aware that the lemon curd in the link has eggs in it. I made a vegan version for this particular recipe using 2 tbsp of arrowroot starch and 1 can of coconut cream. So if you want to make a vegan version, replace the eggs and salted butter with arrowroot and coconut cream.
Vegan Carrot, Cream Cheese and Lemon Curd Bites
For The Carrot Cake
- 250 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1 tsp nutmeg ground
- 1/2 tsp cloves ground
- 250 g carrots grated
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 150 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 150 g walnuts chopped
- 60 g raisins
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 satsuma grated
- 1 lemon grated
For the Cream Cheese
- 1 lemon grated
- 1 one vegan creamy soft style cheese
- 100 g powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- Grease one 22-inch tine and line the bottom with parchment paper. If you have a square or rectangular tin instead (mine was already being used for something else).
- Mix together all of your dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Leave out your raisins and walnuts for now.
- Add the grated carrots, grated satsuma, grated lemon (keeping some for the topping) and raisins then prepare your flax eggs. You can do this easily by mixing 2 tbsp of the flaxseed with 5-6 tbsp water and allow to rest for a couple of minutes.
- In the meantime, add in your oil, vanilla and apple cider vinegar and mix thoroughly before adding in your flax eggs.
- Mix in your walnuts then pour into your tin.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes and allow to cool on a wire rack when ready.
- Once cooled, you need to trim your cake edges before turning them into 'bites'. If you have a square or rectangular tin this will be super easy but if you don't use a sharp knife to cut the edges off (you can use these later to turn into yummy cake biscotti's). You should be left with a square. Cut into strips and then into bites.
- Now it's time to make the yummy cream cheese filling. In a bowl, mix in your vegan creamy cream cheese with your grated lemon and then the powdered sugar and mix slowly until light and creamy. Pop in the fridge for 10 minutes t harden back up before decorating your cakes.
- Lather your cake bites in lemon curd. You can follow my instructions here (but be aware this is the non-vegan version). If you want vegan you need to arrowstarch and coconut cream instead of the eggs and butter.
- Then pop your cream cheese mix on top of the lemon curd. You can decorate as you wish. I used handmade candied lemon.