One of my favourite veggies is Aubergine and some were on offer from my local supermarket so I had to buy some and decided to use them to make a very simple aubergine and mozzarella bake. It is such a simple vegetarian dish and makes a fantastic variation to lasagne. In this version, I decided to use some king prawns I needed to use up and oh my gooooooodness was it tasty! The great thing about a bake like this is it’s SO easy to make vegan as well – swap the mozzarella for vegan mozzarella and you’re good to go. Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and seasoned with sea salt
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- crushed sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 balls of mozzarella, drained and torn
- 10 king prawns
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp arrabiata spices
- 2 handfuls of flat parsley chopped.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat and add in the olive oil. Leave to heat up before adding in the chopped onion, garlic and pinch of salt and fry until softened.
- Pour in the tomatoes and mix well, add in a pinch of salt and pepper and your paprika and arriabiata spices and bring to a simmer, mixing well. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so.
- Slice the aubergines length-ways and brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides and leave for a few minutes before placing on a hot griddle pan until each side is golden brown. Leave to one side once cooked.
- Add in the king prawns and a handful of parsley to your sauce and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce to the bottom of a medium sized ovenproof baking dish and spread evenly. Top with a few aubergine slices until your slices cover the sauce at the bottom.
- Follow with a few more spoonfuls of the remaining tomato sauce and top with a third of the mozzarella. Repeat the process so you have a few more layers and use the remaining mozzarella on the top and bake for 20 minutes in the oven.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and enjoy!