There is nothing quite as good as pizza and it’s even better when you make it yourself. It’s also one of the FUNNEST recipes to make. One of my best friend’s dad has a pizza oven in his garden and we used to spend sooo many evenings making dough and all kinds of combinations to throw in the pizza oven and it was so much fun, so last night, I decided it was about time I made one in my new house (with my ordinary oven)!
Jalapenos, sun dried tomato and cheese are three of my favourite combinations and when you add sliced red onion, mixed red pepper, a sprinkle of oregano and herbs and some yummy basil – you have yourself one heck of a tasty dinner!
Anyhoo, it’s easy to make, great to make with kids if you have them and just as fun if you’re a grown up wanting to play in the kitchen!
Ingredients for Pizza Base
400g of plain flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 sachet (1 tbsp) of yeast
1 tsp sea salt flakes
2-3 tbsp olive oil
250ml of warm water
- 3 tbsp oregano
Ingredients for Pizza Topping
- M&S Margarita Pizza Sauce (it’s super delicious)
- Handful of basil
- 8 jalapenos
- 8 sun dried tomatoes
- Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- Selection of chopped mixed peppers
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
- Sprinkle of oregano
How to Make Your Pizza!
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, add in 300g of the plain flour and then add the sugar, yeast, sea salt flakes, oregano and mix together.
- Once mixed thoroughly, add in the oil and warm water (little by little), if the flour becomes too wet, then add in some more flour as you go. You can then mix by hand or by using an electric hand mixer until a dough is formed. This should only take a couple of minutes or so and then stir in the remaining flour (100g).
- Once you have your dough, wrap it in cling film (not too tight) and pop it in a bowl and leave it to rest for around 40 minutes which activates the yeast. After the 40 minutes, your cling film should fill with air and become slightly hard to touch. TIP: You can tell when the dough is ready by gently pressing it and seeing if it springs back!
- Once your dough is ready, pop on to a floured surface and knead until the dough is fairly smooth and until the air knocked out of it.
- Pop your dough into a floured pizza tray (or baking tray if you don’t have one) and press it down until it reaches the edges. Pop into the oven and cook for 5-6 minutes for a crispy base before taking out and adding your toppings!
- Now the fun begins! Cover your pizza base in your yummy tomato sauce and add your toppings (however you like) and pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes (just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn)!
I serve my pizza with homemade chips which couldn’t be easier to make.
Homemade Chip Recipe
- 2-3 large Maris Piper potatoes
- Generous lug of olive oil
- Dried thyme (or fresh if you have any)
- Sea salt flakes
How To Make Your Chips
- Slice your potatoes lengthways making sure there’s at least 1cm diameter.
- Coat in olive oil, thyme & sea salt flakes
- Bake at the same temperature alongside the pizza (180 degrees)
Make it Vegan: Swap your mozzarella & cheddar cheese for vegan cheese and vegan mozzarella. Tesco do a great a great alternative to cheddar (Jalapeno And Chilli Cheese) and there’s a fabulous alternative to mozzarella: MozzaRisella
Make it Gluten: Swap the plain flour for gluten free plain flour!