Aaaabsolutely loving trout at the moment, it’s such a fresh fish and as long as it isn’t farmed (which can often mean it loses its flavour), trout is actually a light tasting fish that is meaty and mild. Of all of the easy fish to prepare, I personally think trout is the best. It’s rich in protein, vitamin B-12 and omega-3 fatty acids, and it tastes wonderful. Trout has quite a nutty flavour but marries quite well with shallots, tomatoes, apples, carrots, mint, tarragon, basil and thyme however, I wanted to try something a tad different this time round so decided to combine this tasty hand-caught fish with a delicious pineapple salsa. It definitely works and it’s such a refreshing taste – it’s super easy to make and not bad on the penny pot either!
- 2 jars of tomato chipotle salsa
- 2 cans of diced pineapple (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 whole trout (or you can use fillets)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- Cooked rice, for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and boil a saucepan of water. Add the rice and cook to taste.
- If you are using trout fillets, place skin-side down on a baking tray lined with parchment/foil and cover with seasoning and a spray of light oil or a knob of butter and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- If the trout is butterflied with the bone still attached, simply open up the trout, fill with a teaspoon of your chipotle salsa and cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Once cooked, peel of the skin and peel the bone backwards (this should come out whole) then you can pin any remaining bones out.
- Whilst the trout is cooling down, stir in a separate pan the salsa, pineapple, ground cumin, sea salt and black pepper, minced garlic and red wine vinegar. Once heated up, flake the trout in the pan and briefly cook through for 1 minute.
- Drain the rice and serve.
Pleaseeee do follow me on my social pages too 🙂
I would love any comments so please do let me know what you think/if you use any of my recipes!!
Oh and all of my social media links are in the side bar as well 🙂 xxx