So my Dad goes fishing occasionally and sometimes catches some beautiful fish and yesterday’s dinner was the trout he had caught and gave me… Ohhhh it’s such a gorgeous sweet fish with a beautiful natural flavour and as it’s been so cold and miserable this January, I wanted to spruce up my usual comforting carby foods with a fresh summery approach – so, introducing my Scandi Trout with Fennel and Potato Salad!!!
- 500g new potatoes
- 1 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion chopped thinly
- 1 lemon halved and juiced
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsb honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 trout fillets (I butterflied mine as it was a fresh catch) but two fillets would be fine.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 pack of chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 pack of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Boiling potatoes in salted water for 20 minutes until cooked, then drain. Chop the onion finely along with the fennel and put in a bowl and mix with lemon juice. Mix the rest of the lemon zest and juice with the mustard, honey and oil.
- If you are using trout fillets, place skin-side down on a baking tray lined with parchment/foil and cover with the mustard glaze and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- If the trout is butterflied with the bone still attached, simply open up the trout, fill with dill, parsley and the mustard glaze and cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Once cooked, peel of the skin and peel the bone backwards (this should come out whole) then you can pin the rest of the bones out.
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them into chunks and tip into a large bowl. Mix any remaining lemon with the soured cream, dill, parsley and some seasoning. Spoon over the potatoes and stir through. Add the onion and fennel, and mix gently.
- Then serve with the trout and enjoy. You can serve the trout flaked or whole!
Pleaseeee do follow me on my social pages too 🙂
I would love any comments so please do let me know what you think/if you use any of my recipes!!
Oh and all of my social media links are in the side bar as well 🙂 xxx