I’ve been trying really hard to have a Vegan approach to my cooking recently, mainly to try and open my eyes to how often we rely on animal products when cooking but not only have I realised how often we rely on animal products, but also how many incredible ingredients there are out there that can be used completely as alternatives and it’s really, really impressed me. So today, I’m bringing back the simple lemon cake with my version – the Lemon, Lime and Olive Oil Cake! It is moist, crumbly and delicious and sooooooooo simple and easy to make. Also, the smell of lemons filling the kitchen is to diiiieeeee for!
- 280g of self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 180g of caster sugar
- 2 lemon zest (keep the lemon juice and some of the zest aside)
- 2 lime zest (keep the lime juice and some of the zest aside)
- 130ml olive oil
- 180ml warm water
Ingredients for Icing Glace
- Icing sugar
- lemon and lime juice
- Remaining lemon and lime zest
- pink food colouring (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper. You might need to cut the edges around the loaf tin off.
- In a large bowl, combine and mix the flour, the baking powder, the lemon and lime zest and the caster sugar.
- In another bowl mix up the water, olive oil and lemon and lime juice.
- Mix until fully combined until you have a wet mixture and pour slowly into the liner in the tin.
- Pop in the oven for 30 minutes and use a skewer to make sure it is cooked all the way through (it should come out clean) and be springy to touch.
- Leave on a cooling rack until fully cooled before you cover with your glaze.
Method for Icing Sugar Glaze
- Gradually pour in icing sugar into a bowl and add in the lemon and lime juice slowly, mixing to create a paste. Add a drop of the colouring to give some extra colour to your topping.
- Keep adding more and more until you get a nice texture that’s creamy and not too thin.
- Drizzle on your cake and then finish with a sprinkle of the remaining zest.
Pleaseeee do follow me on my social pages too 🙂
I would love any comments so please do let me know what you think/if you use any of my recipes!!
Oh and all of my social media links are in the side bar as well 🙂 xxx
Please note – this is not a paid sponsorship.